Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Stage fright!

I’m going to take a minute to vent some frustration. I usually do not like to just write in a blog entry because frankly I would rather post pictures. However, I need to express a little frustration. As I previously mentioned in an earlier entry, we started the potty training a few months ago. Scott has been difficult to say the least. He’s such a stubborn little cuss but hey that is why we love him. Any rate for the last week or so, Scott has been doing really well. Sitting on the pot when told to and warning us when he needed to pee. Hooray for the little things….but now I have found that there is a new challenge on the horizon. To understand our frustration, I am going to walk you through a play by play of a “bathroom experience” with the little man. Tonight Scott approached me and said, “Dad I need to use the potty”. So I replied, “Great then head into the bathroom and pull down your britches”. Up to this point Scott is a champ! But here is where it gets a little difficult. So the boy drops his trousers and inches toward the edge of toilet and attempts to mentally prepare for the event so soon to come. Being the parents that Heidi and I are, we are still very much stuck in the coaching mode. We stand back and bark orders and provide words of encouragement that, we believe, will insure a successful trip to the potty. However, Scott apparently does not like talking during his private time because it infringes on his ability to mentally prepare. So he yells back at us, “Just stop talking dad, just stop talking”. I can respect the fact a man needs his space when nature calls, therefore I reluctantly comply. Now mind you this is very difficult for me. Especially because Scott likes to dilly-dally. He stands there so sweet like looking all prepared to go, then he starts playing with the toilet seat, staring and counting the paint chips on the wall or begins to kick the base of the toilet. So I offer a few words of encouragement, “Scott pay attention and push out the pee”. Of course he quickly snaps back, “DAD STOP TALKING”. Again my hands are tied…..but of course I have no choice but to comply. Well after a few minutes of this cat and mouse game, Scott finally starts to pee. But of course rather than paying attention where the stream is going, he is busy counting the miscellaneous items in the room. So I yell, “SCOTT, SCOTT PAY ATTENTION, PAY ATTENTION”, as little man has completely directed his efforts, over the toilet and is peeing on the wall with the tenacity of a sand blaster attempting peel the paint. With my direct and jarring tone, Scott finally snaps out of his trance and redirects his hips. But of coarse he now is peeing on the floor right in front of him rather than his recommended target. Again, I yell, “SCOTT, SCOTT PAY ATTENTION, IN THE TOILET, IN THE TOILET.” So just in time to finish, he finally gets the stream directed where it needs to be. Needless to say, I am furious….but you got to put on your game face and press forward. I don’t remember having this problem with Avery. I have come to value that with girls, all you have to do is teach them to sit. Nature does the rest. With boys, teaching to use the potty is only a portion of the war. The greatest battle is teaching them to aim. Any rate..thanks for letting me vent.

2 comments:

Lindy said...

Sounds like fun times at the Slater home. Potty training is one thing I am not looking forward to. Especially since they say it is harder for boys. Hope all is going well with school, the pregnancy, and the kids. (besides peeing all over that is.)

Sarah said...

Look on the bright side...any misdirected spray on your part can now be blamed on Scott!! Logan took more blame than he should have while potty training!! --Chris